A Crisp Fall
November 4, 2019
Fall is in the air, and the holidays are around the corner. Impress your friends and family this season with this easy-to-make and easy to transport favorite from Celebrity Chef, Erica Wides.
Here's a delicious, easy and portable Thanksgiving dessert that captures the flavors of fall. It can be made as written with apples and pears, or with just a single type of fruit. For a dairy-free version, use coconut oil instead of butter, and for gluten-free, sub a nut flour for the all-purpose flour.
Spiced Pear and Apple Crisp
Serves 6 to 8
For the filling:
- 3 sweet, crisp apples, such as Golden Delicious, Gala, or Fuji, cored
- 2 ripe Bartlett or Comice pears, cored
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Unsalted butter, for dish
For the topping:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, or 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or almond or coconut flour
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the apples and pears into 1-inch pieces, and transfer to a large bowl. Add cranberries or cherries, lemon juice, and sugar, and toss to combine. Butter a 9-inch glass baking dish, and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all the topping ingredients and stir until combined.
3. Pour the apples and pears into the prepared dish. Spread the topping mixture evenly across the fruit. Bake until the fruit is soft and the topping crisp, about 35 minutes, watching carefully that topping doesn’t brown too much. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or crème fraiche.