Household Items for Your at Home Workouts
May 14, 2020
Episode 1: Chair Workout
Fitness. Workout routines. Cardio circuits. Each one of these, a big part of your daily lifestyle prior to our country’s shutdown. Each one made your day that much better. Some may have continued, others attempted but have slowly fallen off with the repetitive nature each day seems to bring. Today marks a new beginning, a new look at fitness and how it can be incorporated into your everyday life. During this series, I want you to look around and remember all of your favorite exercises, movements, or circuits. Now think, how can we turn all of that into action with all of your household items? However long this lifestyle may last, keep your fitness mindset on these two mottos’. Continue to adapt and keep moving.
We are going to start with a few exercises you can use with your everyday chair. Other options can include a couch or a sturdy bench or stool. These household item circuits will include a full range of exercises incorporating the full body. This ensures your workouts are time efficient and you’re targeting multiple muscle groups.
A body weight exercise targeting the triceps first while stretching and strengthening your chest and shoulders.
- Grip the front edges of your chair with your hands while seated.
- Hover your butt slightly off and in front of the chair, feet flat and legs bent so thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Straighten your arms. This will be the top of the movement.
- Lower your body towards the floor until your arms form a 90-degree angle.
- Engage your triceps to press back to your starting position.
This movement improves overall lower body strength and balance.
- Walk up to the chair with the chair seat facing you.
- Place feet hip width apart, standing tall, and looking straight ahead.
- Take your right foot, place on the chair and step up trying not to jump or use momentum from your other leg.
- Slowly step down and repeat with other leg.
A body weight exercise that helps create balance and stability throughout the full body while mainly targeting your upper body and core.
- Get into your standard pushup position while gripping the sides of the chair.
- Slowly lower yourself down towards the chair keeping your core tight and elbows tucked close to your side
- Brace your core and press your hands into the sides of the chair while driving your body